My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, IL, United States

Sunday, October 22, 2006

All right, STOP! Collaborate and LISTEN!

My camera was lost/stolen last week, but have no fear, Amazon clearance sale is here! As a happy birthday to me, I got a new camera. So I will be posting new pictures up just as soon as I figure out how it works. Yay for new toys! Boo for being a poor student!!

Last week, I went to my first Hindu wedding. I love all things Indian (for a multitude of reasons, but that's a whole 'nother story). Well, everything but the food. I cannot stand Indian food, but I digress. Anyway, the wedding was beautiful, and I got to learn even more about the culture. Here's what I learned:

    • The traditional Hindi wedding color is red. The bride had the most gorgeous wedding gown I've ever seen, deep red with lots of exquisite beading.
    • You think Catholic weddings are long? Think again! We were an hour late to the wedding, but there was still an hour left in the ceremony by the time we got there.
    • The wedding is performed in the traditional Sanskrit (it was kind of funny because the bride was born here, and only understands limited Sanskrit...she just kind of nodded her head along in agreement throughout the ceremony).
    • The bride is decorated with Henna on her hands and feet. Traditionally, husbands are not allowed to sleep with their wives until they can find their initials on their bride, hidden amongst the patterns. This was done back in the olden days because India had arranged marriages, and this was supposedly done so that the groom knew he had the right woman.
The reception had traditional Indian dances performed by children, followed by a belly-dancer. I danced to fun Indian music, even though I was one of maybe 10 people there who wasn't Indian. I think I kept up with them pretty well. After the traditional Indian music, the DJ started playing old school music from grade school days. Towards the end of the night, I was barefoot on the dance floor, reciting every line to "Ice, Ice Baby". Yup, I am THAT girl. I was completely sober...and you know the party wouldn't be the same without me!!

3 Comments:

Blogger KULA said...

I just want to add that belly dancing has no relation to India whatsoever, it's a Middle Eastern thing, and the girl who performed it at this wedding was awful not to mention way too fat to be wearing belly dancing gear, but regardless, she did it as a "gift" to the bride and groom.

I hate Indian food too, although I gave it a chance at the wedding, but I remembered later why I hate Indian food.

10/23/2006 9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nobody speaks sanskrit anymore...
Hindu weddings are performed in Hindi (probably)

10/30/2006 2:35 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Anon:

See, that's what I said! I thought that Sanskrit wasn't spoken any longer.

But I was told that they actually were speaking Sanskrit (by someone who actually understands Sansrkit).

Since I don't know Sanskrit or Hindi, I couldn't tell you either way.

Things that make you go hmmm...

10/30/2006 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home